Mini-Mites and Mites (U8 Program Description):
The hockey club is excited to announce a change in the structure of the U8 program for this year. In order to better serve the needs of all children enrolled in the program, we’ll be dividing our U8s into progression levels. While age will be used as a guideline for program placement, skater ability will be the determining factor. We envision the program to work fluidly giving our coaches the ability to move children from one level to another based on their needs. Minis-Mites will be strictly in-house with no travel expectations. Mites are also considered an in-house program but there will be several optional opportunities to travel throughout the season.
Mini-Mites / Beginning Hockey (Ages 5-8):
- Skaters younger than 5 may be accepted please contact the hockey club for approval
- Recommended for our youngest skaters, Learn to Skate
- The focus is on fun and games and getting participants comfortable on skates and building confidence
- Development of skills through small area games
- Session Goal - to give participants a solid base of fundamental skating skills, good forward stride, perform backward c-cuts, stop on command without falling
Mites (Ages 7-8):
- Recommended for skaters who have a couple of years of experience under their belts
- Continued emphasis on fun while developing skating skills
- Introduction of team play and positioning
- Preparation for the transition into squirts
- Session Goal - proficient skating with powerful forward stride, basic backward stride, crossing over in the forward direction both ways, hockey stop both ways, basic puck control, basic passing skills, and basic knowledge of positions
Coaches have kept sports alive in 2020. Has your kid's coach helped them through this crisis?Nominate them for a chance to win $2500!