Important dates, Information and events for 2018/2019 Hockey Season
09/16/2018, 2:30pm MDT
By Lizard Head Hockey Board
Lizard Head Hockey Club
Important dates and events:
- Hockey Swap and Mandatory Annual Informational Meeting: September 20th @ meeting starting at 5:30 PM at the Hanley Rink, followed by the swap at 6 PM. This year we are holding this event together so that you can get all your information and gear all in one convenient location. Mini & Mite Rental Bags will be distributed at this event.
- Hockey Registration September 21 st, 2018 on the Parks and Rec website. If you have not signed up for a new account with their new system you will need to do this in order to register. opens:
- Kevin Green Memorial Golf Tournament to Benefit the Lizard Head Hockey Club: Monday, September 24th at the Telluride Golf Club Shotgun start at 10 am
- Rink Opening Date: Monday, October 15th (Rink Closing Date: Wednesday, March 6th )
- Practices Start the week of October 15th, Please reference the practice schedule on our home page.
- MILE HIGH MITES PROGRAM STARTS! Friday, October 10th 4:45PM-5: 45 PM and round every Friday except the week of Thanksgiving until the last session November 30th.
- Annual Coaches Meeting October 3rd, at 5:30 PM at High Pie. (We are still looking for coaches, especially at the mite and mini-mite level, please contact us if you are interested.)
- Bridal Veil Cup, Coed Hockey Tournament Fundraiser for the Lizard Head Hockey Club: October 19-21st games to be held in the afternoons at the Hanley Rink. Teams are $650 each, same rules as the normal Coed season. Start getting your teams together now!
- Planet Hockey Clinic in Telluride: Oct. 26th, 27th, 28th. Registration and information are on the website. Sign up today.
Important information to know for this coming season:
- Uniforms: all travel players, Squirt and up, need a green travel jersey, and white home jerseys. You can order jerseys via the link on the website. Hockey socks can also be ordered for $15/pair. High School Players are provided Uniforms that are returned at the seasons end.
- Helmets and Breezers. All travel players are required to have black helmets and black breezers.
- Rental Bags: Rental bags are for Minis and mites, and will be available at the Hockey Swap and some set times following the swap. Rental Bag contact this seasons is: Chris Sommers email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t wait, come to the swap for a rental bag! If your child is a squirt or higher you really should not be using rental gear. This rental program is more for the newer skaters. Therefore younger skaters will have priority. Keep in mind that first time skaters with the Mile High Program get the gear with that program so there is no need to be on this wait list. Please spread the word to new skaters about Hockey and the Mile High Program. The sooner the Club knows of kid numbers the better we are to plan for it.
- Lady Lizard Head Hockey this season: This year we are going to have 2 amazing girls teams! In addition to our U19 team we will again have a U12 Lady Lizard Head Team! We have some amazing coaches lined up to skate with these teams and are so excited about the great seasons they girls have coming up.
Great new program this year for FIRST TIME SKATERS: Spread the word!
MILE HIGH MITES: Amazing new Learn to Skate program partnered with the Colorado Avalanche.
Please review the flyer for this program on our website, this is for 6 sessions at the beginning of the 2018-2019 season and includes ALL GEAR. This program is for NEW skaters ages 5-9, birth years 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
To register for this program please go to: avalanche.TeamKSE.com/MHMLTP1819 This is such a great value at $190 per player. Check it out now and spread the word.
New League structure for 2018/2019 Season.
- Our Hockey League the CDYHL is now much smaller after the departure of Aspen, Vail, Glenwood, Summit & Steamboat who created their own new league. What this means for our skates is:
- For the Peewee A and Squirt A teams, we are looking at a hybrid structure with conventional league B teams and tournament A teams. Our A teams will play a variety of games against teams in and out of our league as well as tournaments! We will have tryouts for those interested in the A team.
- For our Bantam team, we will have a Bantam B team in the CDYHL league and have scheduled games against other league teams. We will be integrating the Bantam team with our High School program by creating some good opportunities at the JV level. This Bantam program will become a hybrid Bantam/JV program that will be a more unified program with Grayson overseeing both and creating a nice balance with B level play in the CDYHL and JV play in the New Mexico (Rio Grande) High School Hockey League. For skaters 8th grade and up that are eager to skate more they will have the opportunity to skate in both Bantam B games and JV games. For those who are not yet old enough or not interested in JV this season they can elect to play more specifically just Bantam B games.
- Game Estimates:
- Tournaments for the A team are expected to include:
- The Vail Sportsmanship Championship https://www.vailmountaineers.com/sportsmanship Pee Wee November 9-11and Squirt November 16-18.
- Pee Wee A and Squirt A: Grizz Cup in Salt Lake City MLK weekend Jan 18-21 (Additional travel days may be necessary depending on game schedule). https://www.grizzcup.com/
- CAHA tournament in Denver at the end of the season in March.
- Additional tournaments are being researched
Depending on the temperature of the parents an additional tournament could be scheduled.
- Squirt B and Pee Wee B teams:
- League play with: West Elk, Craig, Grand Junction, and Durango. Approximately 18 games for Squirt B and 20 games for Peewee B
- The CDYHL tournament will be held at the end of the season.
- These teams will also have the opportunity to participate in 1 tournament during the season. Drop the Puck tourney in Gunnison would be a good fit or the CAHA tournament in March in Denver. Keep an eye out for your team manager to ask for parent feedback on these as the season starts.
- Bantam B:
- League play with: West Elk, Craig, Grand Junction, and Durango. Approximately 12-16 games for Bantam B.
- JV & Varsity High school -
- This league has teams from Southern CO (Durango and Alamosa) NM (Taos, Los Alamos and 2 teams in Albuquerque) and 3 teams from Texas.
- Here is the HEADS UP. Last year Amarillo and El Paso came to us, therefore we go there this year, in addition for the Varsity players the mid-season tournament is mandatory and it is also in Texas.
- Here is what I know for weekends, still details to work out.
- Nov 18 HOME Odessa JV and V
- Dec 1 HOME Alamosa JV, Taos V
- Dec 15-16 HOME Albuquerque teams JV and V
- Jan 4-6 AWAY Mid Season Tournament Varsity: Amarillo Tx
- Jan 11-13 AWAY Mid Season Tournament JV: Alamosa, CO (not mandatory)
- Feb 1-3 AWAY Taos and Los Alamos JV and V
- Feb 22-24 AWAY Amarillo and Los Alamos JV and V
- March 1-3 AWAY YET for JV Albuquerque
- March 8-10 AWAY YET for V Santa Fe
Note: Will schedule both home and away with Durango JV and V, TBD also considering friendly games with CB, which should be in Telluride.
In-house continues to be an option at all levels with 2 practice a week and no travel games.